Thursday, January 20, 2011

One Week Report Card


Ok, it's time to take stock. I've given up Clif Bars, gluten, dairy, sweets, and alcohol for a period of time. Why? I hear that a lot. I'm not overweight, and most folks would consider my eating habits reasonably good. I think they're that way because every couple of years I make an adjustment.


After college, I realized I needed to adjust my regular menu of Cap'n Crunch for breakfast, five hot dogs for lunch, and big cans of Chunky Sirloin Burger for dinner. And at work in NYC, I needed to adjust my ritual pre-lunch snack of two Mrs. Fields cookies. Later it was the super greasy Chinese fast food take-out around the corner.

My adjustments usually were successful because they never involved total withdrawal and were made gradually. And some things I must say I have thankfully grown out of. So this new program has been somewhat of a shock to the system, both internally and externally. My goal is to recalibrate the choices that I make on a regular basis. I have been reading some interesting new research and viewpoints that seemed worthwhile. Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) runs in my family and has no doubt affected many of my eating habits. Bonking is such an awful feeling (and maybe worse for those around me) that I try very hard to avoid it. It's one of the reasons that I began eating Clif Bars as snacks, not just as training food.

So, how am I doing:

No Clif Bars: I've somehow managed not to eat a single one, even though there's a White Chocolate Macadamia Nut staring me in the face in a basket on the kitchen counter. Good replacements as snacks have been cashews, almonds, raisins, cranberries, pepitas, fruit. Not so good snack replacements: potato chips (once), french fries (once). Instead of a Clif Bar before swimming in the morning, I am making an extra strong sports drink (Heed). And for long rides, I am eating Hammer Gel and drinking Heed.

No gluten: This is also a hard one as I am the pasta queen, but somehow have done ok. Replacements: homemade non gluten, non dairy corn bread (actually very good), brown rice, lots of potatoes, rice cakes. Bought quinoa but haven't made it yet. Had almond butter on toasted corn bread instead of my normal pre-ride waffles. Learned how to make egg and potato frittatas as a post ride recovery meal. Delizioso!

No dairy: I love cereal, two bowls at a minimum. But this is one of the habits I am trying to break. Not much nutritional value there. Gave up hot milk in my coffee, Harder was giving up my Reggiano cheese which I grate onto practically everything. No dairy has also affected my recovery drink. I couldn't use whey protein powder so I got something called Hemp protein powder from Trader Joe's. It tastes like ... rope. I did find chocolate almond milk to mix it with which has improved it a bunch.

No sweets: Not having post dinner chocolate was difficult, especially as the chocolate bars were still out on the table the first day. I like having something to chew on after dinner, either something crunchy like pita chips, or really good dark chocolate. So far, the only decent replacements are cashews or almonds.

No alcohol: Sparkling water has been the replacement of choice.

So, I've managed to stay technically on track. One of my overarching goals is to replace much of my processed food carbohydrate intake with whole foods. Replacing Clif Bars with potato chips and french fries is not going to help me get there!

2 comments:

  1. I could NEVER give up my Bran Buds cereal. I tried to find a substitute because they have HFCS to no avail. Life is just not right without them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try the brown rice pasta or spaghetti squash. No gluten and they are both great!

    ReplyDelete